The SOS Darfur Walk hosted by the BSGE Helping Hand Committee is an initiative to raise awareness and an act to help the refugees of the six-year-long genocide in Darfur, Sudan. At Socrates Sculpture Park in Astoria, NY, teams composed of at least 5 members will participate in a day long walk with a suggested donation of at least $20 per member. Registered groups must have at least one member walking during the walk hours 9am-6pm. Team members can also educate themselves by provided documentaries and literature at the event. To raise extra money, t-shirts, bracelets, and plants will also be sold. Food and entertainment will be provided.
Facts about Darfur
– Victims have lost family, homes, and lives in the genocide.
– The Janjaweed, the government supported militia group are responsible for 97% of the killing.
– Since 2003, over 400,000 civilians have died.
– 2.8 million people have been displaced within Sudan.
– 90% of the villages of Darfur’s targeted ethnic groups have been destroyed.
– The total amount of individuals affected by the genocide is immeasurable.
What is being done?
– The U.N Security Council approved a 26,000 peacekeeping force in June of 2008.
– There had been 7,000 African Union troops within Darfur, which have been ineffective.
– The ICC has put a warrant out for President Bashir.
– The Sudanese government has strongly resisted forces and equipment being driven into Darfur.
Situations have gradually been improving thanks to people who have been raising awareness, donating, and joining in Darfur related groups. And you can do the same.
JOIN THE SOS DARFUR WALK!
WHERE: Socrates Sculpture Park (32-01 Vernon Boulevard Long Island City, NY 11106) WHEN: June , 2009, 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
For more information contact email@example.com
To register contact firstname.lastname@example.org