A few weeks ago, I had the chance to visit Buzzfeed’s New York headquarters. Here’s a few things I discovered when I went to this virtual sanctuary.
- Each conference room is named after a celebrity, including each member of Destiny’s Child.
- Outside each conference/celebrity room is a cardboard cutout of the aforementioned celebrities. I got a picture taken next to 2-dimensional Harry Potter.
- On the structural pillars in the building are random celebrity heads, such as Ryan Gosling and Kanye West that watch you ominously.
- There are bagels every Friday. EVERY. FRIDAY. It would be the perfect place for Mr. Mehan.
- There is a cornucopia of food! There are seven types of cereal, and bins filled with pretzels, welch fruit snacks, etc. There are coffee and hot-chocolate machines. For free. The liquids are dispensed into large Buzzfeed mugs.
- There’s a British telephone booth that may or may not work. However it did not double as an elevator that went into the subway station (you go Arthur Weasley).
- The heating system in the building is apparently terrible, so all the Buzzfeeders(?) go around wearing hats and blankets.
- Everyone there is pretty much in their 20s, so kudos to Generation Y.
- The walls are decorated with huge circular “OMG” and “LOL” posters. Oh my god!
- They gave me free memorabilia in the form of Buzzfeed pens, stickers, notebooks, and notepads. The one time I actually support shameless promotion.
- Bonus: I got featured in a Buzzfeed article! It’s called 28 People Share Why They Love Their “Flaws”. I mentioned the itty bitty dot on my nose, that never fails to give me symmetry. Check it out here! www.buzzfeed.com/kirstenking/people-share-why-they-love-their-flaws