The Baccrag

The Student News Site of Baccalaureate School for Global Education

The Baccrag

The Baccrag

Deaths of Childhood Legends

“It felt like a part of my childhood died… I was on the verge of tears” — a current sophomore at BSGE. 

Much of the BSGE family was devastated upon hearing the news of the deaths of the actors, Robbie Coltrane and Angela Lansbury. 

The film stars, who passed in mid-October, are most known for their work on the Harry Potter franchise and Beauty and the Beast, respectively. Lansbury started her profession in Hollywood and moved on to Broadway towards the middle of her career. Besides his work for Harry Potter, Coltrane was also known for his comedy.

Ada I., a sophomore at BSGE, expresses how both Coltrane and Lansbury’s passings affected her. She says that growing up, she watched the Harry Potter movies a lot, so when she first heard about this, it broke her heart knowing that the man who “introduced Harry to this world of witchcraft and inviting him to Hogwarts on this crazy journey” was gone. 

Another fan of the Harry Potter franchise, having read the series thrice, Mr. Lucas Sheridan appreciated Coltrane’s portrayal of Hagrid. Although he did not find Coltrane’s death to be too much of a shock, it was melancholy nonetheless. 

Given that “it’s the world’s most read series,” the role Coltrane played as Hagrid made him feel as though the world “lost a friend” and a “great comedian.”

As for Lansbury, it was “Mrs. Potts’ sincerity and voice were so soothing.” For her, both actors “touched the hearts of many children,” including herself.

Another student, Asma A., found these losses tragic when she heard; “everybody grew up with their movies and it played a role to someone in some way.” Asma shares the sorrow of many in acknowledging that “they were part of your childhood and to know that they passed is just truly sad.” 

Looking back, she explains how both stars inspired her “in kindness and helping others” through their roles where they helped the main characters “find themselves in the situation they were in.” 

Last but not least, another sophomore found the losses to be heartbreaking. They communicate how “they were really good actors in the movie” and “they played a huge role in the plot of the movie, it made the movie way better.”  The death of Coltrane influenced the student very much, as they mention that “It affected me a lot….I legitimately cried when I heard about his death..I grew up watching the movies and reading the books so many times.” 

Coltrane and Lansbury truly inspired them to try and “be a better person” as the actors “did a phenomenal job and made me want to become a better person, they were really kind and helpful to the characters.” 

Ultimately, the actors have played substantial roles in not only the films they starred in but the lives of those who were enamored by their performances. The students and faculty who loved these actors have expressed their grief at the passing of these celebrities, but do not fail to mention their gratitude for knowing them and how their personas influenced who they could become.