The Baccrag

The Student News Site of Baccalaureate School for Global Education

The Baccrag

The Baccrag

Hockenheimring Should Return to the Formula One Calendar Soon

Formula One, often known as F1, has many tracks across the world, from Japan to Mexico, the United States to Italy. One racetrack that used to be in the F1 calendar but got removed in 2019 has had extraordinary moments in history and is considered one of the most memorable F1 tracks ever. This track is none other than the Hockenheimring in Germany.

But before jumping into the history of the Hockenheimring and why it should return, it is important to understand what Formula One is. 

Formula One, or F1, is the highest grade of open-wheel single-seater racing in the world and is widely considered the premier racing series in the world. Many car brands, including Ferrari, McLaren, Aston Martin, and many more have competed in F1. Many notable drivers, such as the likes of Michael Schumacher, Lewis Hamilton, Ayrton Senna, Max Verstappen, and Sebastian Vettel have raced in F1, creating history. The First F1 World Championship season took place in 1950 and has been running ever since. 

Now, let’s get into the history of Hockenheimring.

Originally called Dreiecks Kurs (Triangle Course), Hockenheimring was built in 1932 in Germany. It first joined the Formula One calendar in 1970. Throughout its history, the track’s layout has experienced changes. The original layout of Hockenheimring was changed in 2001 due to safety reasons, much to the dismay of drivers and fans.

Hockenheimring, aerial view

However, in 2019, Hockenheimring failed to renew its contract to be in F1. This meant that Germany had no more Grand Prix (races) in the Formula One calendar. And even now, in the 2024 season, Hockenheimring still hasn’t returned. 

It also seems likely that it won’t return, at least for the foreseeable future. It has been left abandoned. The track’s condition has gotten so bad that parts of the track, primarily the old layout, have been reclaimed by the forest.

The Hockenheimring being reclaimed by the forest.

But why should Hockenheimring return to the F1 calendar? Well, there are a variety of reasons. For one, it’s one of the oldest tracks in F1’s history, meaning that many drivers from many eras of F1 have raced here. Secondly, it is memorable for many fans. Ethan Kim, an 8th grader, said “My dad used to tell me of great things that happened in Hockenheim. I wish I could’ve watched the race.”

Ayush Barua, an eighth grader, said, “When I learned that Hockenheim wasn’t going to be in the F1 calendar, I was horrified. How could the FIA (Federation Internationale de l’automobile) let this happen? Shame on them!” 

Overall, Hockenheim should return because it is simply one of the best F1 tracks to have ever been on the calendar.