The Baccrag

The Student News Site of Baccalaureate School for Global Education

The Baccrag

The Baccrag

Overview of IB

The International Baccalaureate (IB) is a much more complex program than looked at from first glance.

The IB diploma program is a two year program aimed for 16-19 year olds in order to provide students with a higher quality of education. The program has made its way into 140 countries around the world in order to grant students with a diploma that is internationally accepted.

The IB diploma program, created in 1968, was formed by a group of teachers in the International School of Geneva. The group of teachers were inspired by Marie-Thérèse Maurette’s “Educational Techniques for Peace. Do they exist?” written in 1948. This document was the framework that later became the basis for the programme. This program was used to provide a diploma that would be accepted internationally for teens whose parents worked in the world of “diplomacy, international and multinational organizations”.

In BSGE, IB officially starts in junior year, or 11th grade.

BSGE offers Pre-IB courses for underclassmen in order to prepare them for the diploma. There are many requirements in order to qualify for the diploma; qualifications including the successful completion of multiple exams and internal assessments. 

The grading system differs with the six subjects assessing from a scale of 1 to 7. A 1 is 65% or under. A 2 is a 65. A 3 is between 66-75%. A 4 is between 76-85%. A 5 is between 86-90. A 6 is 91-95%. A 7 is 96-100%.

The curriculum consists of six subjects of study offered at standard level (SL) or higher level (HL): language and literature, foreign language acquisition, individuals and societies, experimental sciences, mathematics and visual arts. Additionally, a theory of knowledge (TOK) course, an extended essay (EE) workshop, a CAS (Creativity, Action and Service) project and CAS hours. 

After the completion of these IB elements, students are required to take written exams for the six subjects with the grading system also ranging from 1 to 7. 

In order to actually receive the diploma, students are required to earn a minimum of 24 out of 45 points on these exams. The hours needed for CAS need to be done, every subject must have a grade that is higher than a 1 for SL courses, a 2 for HL courses, a D in EE and TOK essay. HL courses need to add up to 12 and SL need to add up to 9. Only three 3’s are allowed and there must be no instances of cheating.