The Baccrag

The Student News Site of Baccalaureate School for Global Education

The Baccrag

The Baccrag

BSGE LFC 2023 Season

As a sports season comes to an end, there is nothing controllable except to reflect on the good and bad that has been endured. The 2023 girls’ varsity soccer season was no different. For a total of 14 games and a record of 12 wins, and 2 losses, the team played as strong as ever, passing the first round of playoffs and going as far as the quarterfinals in playoffs. 

With 20 girls on the roster, everyone got to play, many scoring their first goals in their high school career. Of the 20 players, 8 freshmen walked onto the team with many becoming starters with our starting goalkeeper. Millie Blackburn started on the right wing throughout the regular season until an unfortunate injury prevented her from playing in the last few games. The 7 other freshmen are Sonia Kaynan, Mia Seow, Matilda Giles, Thea Glickman, Calla McGarvey, Constance Choo, and Kelsi Tirado. All players were versatile, being able to play all over the field from defense, through midfield, up to offense. 

The sophomore front was held up by Beverly Juarez, Pryanti Paul, Kayla Rojas, and Laia Verbon Font. Laia Verbon Font was the starting striker for most of the regular season, showing her power and flexibility as she proved to be an exemplary center-back, coming up to score goals even as a defensive player. 

The 2023-2024 juniors tie sophomores for the number of players on the team with every single one being valuable assets to the team on and off the field. Julia Uszynski, Giorgia Horja, Jakayla Fontaine, and Viviana Cortiella were all defenders on the team with Giogia pushing up to the wing, showing her strength all over the field. 

Finally, the treasured seniors of this year’s 2023 soccer season. Anamaria Botas, Emma Bromley, Demetra Kostaridis, and Valentina Rendon Ruiz. Each and every one of this year’s seniors are exceptional soccer players, every single one of them scoring goals for the team. The 2023 girls’ soccer team captains were Anamaria, Emma, and Demetra. All three captains have been at Baccalaureate for four years, playing 3 complete soccer seasons together. In the 2021 fall season, Demi recorded 13 games played, 33 shots on goal, 3 assists, and 8 goals scored. Emma recorded 13 games played, 27 shots on goal, 14 assists, and 9 goals. Anamaria recorded 13 games played and 1 shot on goal. Twelve months later, Demi crushed her 2021 stats recording 50 shots, 11, and 21 goals scored, demolishing her record while playing 2 fewer games. In 2023, Demi played 14 matches, 57 shots on goal, 8 assists, and 20 goals. In her sophomore year, Emma had 8 matches played, 12 shots on goal, 6 assists, and 4 goals scored. Emma also crushed her previous year’s record, closing out with 12 matches played, 26 shots on goal, 7 assists and 7 goals scored. Anamaria had her first goal in sophomore year and scored not one, but two total goals that season. A number that she matched in one game this season. Anamaria had a 66% success rate scoring goals relative to the shots she took in 2022. Which is more than Messi!!! 

Throughout the 2023 season, Demi, Anamaria, and Emma have impressed everyone around them, while showing the freshman how it is done. All three of these beloved captains are role models for the rest of the soccer team. Sadly, they will eventually continue with their lives, as players must step up to try and fill the huge shoes left behind.